- The emphasis in third grade is on improving critical thinking and comprehension skills, improving vocabulary, developing oral reading skills.
- Each student will be exposed to literary exploration.
- Students will be involved in our school-wide reading incentive programs.
- Writing will be integrated into reading, social studies and science.
- Students will spend time on writing mechanics, language usage, the writing process, expository writing, and handwriting.
- Students will be taught study and research skills.
- The emphasis in spelling is placed on spelling words correctly at all times in all writing.
- Students will be exposed to core words, word patterns, spelling generalizations and content words.
- Time will be spent reviewing basic addition and subtraction facts, subtracting with borrowing, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, measurement, and problem solving.
- Students will be given enrichment and/or accelerated assignments according to their individual needs.
- Each third grade teacher has mastered a set of CCO's from our district curriculum and has developed a unit in a specific area. The classes will rotate throughout the year until they have covered all of the topics.
- Topics covered are magnets and electricity, living things and their environmental habitats, the scientific process, the solar system, and sound.
- Core concepts in social studies include map skills, government, past and present, economics, and St. Louis Cultures.
- Students will be taught independent computer operation, basic computer editing skills, word processing skills, and Herzog keyboarding skills.
- Basic PowerPoint skills will be introduced.
- Instruction is differentiated through the use of tiered assignments, accelerated activities and projects, learning contracts, and cubing.
Grade Level Information
- Students will have a structured homework nightly Monday through Thursday.
- Students should also read for 15 minutes each night
- All work not complete in class becomes homework.
Curriculum Content and Essential Skills