Know the Danger Zones
The 10 Giant-Step Rule is a good measurement for children to identify the danger zone area that limits bus driver's and motorist's vision around the school bus. Ask your child to take those 10 giant steps away from the bus to make sure people can see him or her at all times.
Walking to and from Bus Stops
- Your family should plan the safest route to the bus stop, with the fewest streets to cross.
- If possible, cross streets and corners using the crosswalk. Look in all directions before crossing. Always obey traffic signals.
- Watch for vehicles that might be making a turn.
- If possible, face traffic when walking on roads without sidewalks and always use caution.
- Be extra careful during times of sunrise and sunset, bad weather and during darkness
(wear white clothing or something reflective).
Conduct at School Bus Loading Zone and Bus Stops
- Stand in lines or a group facing traffic so you can see the bus approaching.
Stand back 6 feet (10 Giant Steps) from where the bus will stop. Do not approach the bus until the driver opens the bus door.
- When loading at a school, follow the directions of the driver and/or teacher on bus duty. Stand back the required 6 feet until the bus driver opens the bus door.
Remember, there may be several buses to watch out for, not just your own.
- Never go under any bus to retrieve something you've dropped.
Ask the driver or teacher to assist.
- Children should never run after the school bus to catch it if they miss their ride.
- If parents are waiting for the bus in a car, be sure the car is not parked in the bus loading/unloading zone.
Rules and Regulations
- Arrive at the bus stop ten (10) minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Use only your familys designated bus stop.
- Respect the rights and property of others on the bus and at the bus stop.
- Give the bus driver a written request when leaving the bus at other than the familys designated bus stop. The request must be signed by the parent or
guardian and approved by the site administrator and/or his/her designee.
- Always cross in front of the bus, making sure to note the danger zones and
the 10 Giant Step Rule, when crossing the street or leaving the bus.
- Parents and neighbors should create a watch network to help students get to and from bus stops and their homes safely.
If you have questions about your route, please contact one of the following:
- FirstStudent - Wildwood: 636-458-2044
- FirstStudent - Fenton: 636-677-7711
- Go Ahead - 314-721-8657
Find out about the Transportation Committee that works to improve schol bus procedures to provide safe, reliable transportation for all students.